Mastering E/M Coding
Documentation deficiencies and improper level of service selection are a tremendous liability.
4 Reasons to Attend
- Don't let provider documentation errors slip by. Problems could result in huge fines.
- Learn an internal chart documentation training system designed to help staff proactively identify and correct potential problems on an ongoing basis.
- Review billing practices to reduce liabilities for incorrect claims.
- Receive a comprehensive explanation of documentation guidelines and principles of accurate, adequate and clinically useful information.
Are you confident that your provider documentation and E/M codes meet the guidelines for accurate reimbursement?
E/M lays the groundwork for the reimbursement process. It is also a well-known audit trigger. This class will provide the knowledge and tools you need to internally monitor billing compliance. Participants will receive EM coding grids to aid in accurate level-of-service selection.
- Relate accurate code selection to proper reimbursement
- Review sample chart notes
- Step-by-step explanation of documentation guidelines
- Select proper E/M code for location and type of service provided to the patient
- Look at appropriate codes for work performed by ancillary providers
- Instruction of diagnosis codes indicating level of necessity
- E/M coding grids to aid in accurate level of service selection
- Documentation necessary in the medical record
- How documentation is used to record the complexity of medical decision making
- The role of history and exam in medical decision-making
- Review examples of chart notes to identify potential problem areas
Who Should Attend
Providers and coding/billing professionals are encouraged to attend.
This content covered in this course assumes a basic to intermediate understanding of E/M coding and documentation.
What to Bring
A course manual will be provided. A current-year CPT® manual is optional.